When you think of digital marketing, there are so many different options and strategies that you can incorporate. As the world has changed, and consumer behavior changes, we’ve seen mobile phones and tablets (devices) make a big move on the digital marketing scene. Mobile devices offer advertisers a new platform to promote where users are spending significant time. Not only that, but advertisers can learn a lot about consumers based on their mobile device usage.
What is Mobile Device ID Targeting?
Device ID (DID) is an innovative advertising product that utilizes geofencing to target users based on the ID number associated with their mobile device. You can advertise based on recent, previous geo-locations. As a result, you can get pretty specific and targeted in who you are speaking to by using these tactics.
Just like any digital marketing strategy, device ID targeting requires strategy. We’re sharing a few of our secrets of success with device ID targeting to help you be successful on our new Xpress advertising platform. Take a look!
Secrets to Success for Mobile Device ID Targeting:
- Plan Ahead. The best use of device ID Targeting is when you know ahead of time what you are going to be gathering. This marketing strategy allows you to monitor location data for a specific lookback time frame. While there are some time limits (we’re not going back years and years here people!), you can still leverage data from concerts, festivals, conferences, and more. All of these things typically attract specific crowds and demographics. But, the best plan is when you go into an event knowing that you will be targeting attendees on the back end. You can be more strategic, calculated, and targeted in what you say and how soon after the event you say it.
- Timing is key. Mobile device ID tracking is really great for promoting future events, or other correlated offers. The key is that if you’re focused on that kind of promotion, you need to make sure you don’t let too much time go by where people have moved on with their lives. For example, promoting a great deal on a speed boat would be a great thing to promote right after a boat show where you’ve gathered the mobile device data. If you wait a few months, many people have lost the momentum, budget, or interest in getting a boat. Strike while the iron is hot!
- Think Local. Retailers and Brick & Mortar locations can benefit greatly from mobile device ID, even when there are fluctuating seasons of consumers like this current year is seeing. Some industries that lend itself more toward physical browsing (think furniture, jewelry, vehicles, etc.) can do really well with this. Using mobile device ID data, allows specific retailers to get even more savvy with how they spend their ad dollars and target people who have been in to see them or competitors.
- Think Beyond Mobile. The biggest secret that’s not really a secret is to not rely on JUST mobile device ID data. Smart brands will use a variety of data and a variety of marketing channels to get the word out, including tactics like retargeting. If you take people through a sales cycle where they can interact with your brand a few times, you’ll be in a good spot!
- Think Beyond Sales. Mobile device ID data can be helpful for more than just closing a sale. We’ve seen many instances where it can be helpful for recruiting quality job applicants and other volunteer teams. This data has many applications, and while we mainly see it in the sales role, we encourage people to get creative with how they could use it for their own goals. It may be a smarter way to build your team than posting expensive job listings.
If you want to be successful with digital advertising, it’s clear that data is the way to go. It helps you narrow down your audience and send ads in a smart way. As the world becomes more and more mobile, we’re seeing mobile advertising grow more and more prevalent and device id targeting is just one way you can leverage the growing mobile trend!